All Purpose Tomato Sauce
Photo credit: Shaw Girl
I never understood the purpose of all the variation of tomato products. Spaghetti sauce, pasta sauce, marinara sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, oy! I find that with the exceptions of some different spices, they pretty much all taste the same to me.
Eventually, once we have made some headway with out attempts at gardening (which reminds me, I have to order some seeds soon!), I intend to make our own stewed tomato sauce. But for now, I simply purchase a bottle of basic plain organic tomato sauce and use this for all our tomato-based needs. With a bit of extra flavorings, I can have:
- a smooth and garlicky pizza sauce (swirled with diced garlic, onions and a drizzle of olive oil)
- a rich and delicious tomato-based soup (mixed with a little chicken broth and diced leftover vegetables and meats)
- a chunky medium-spiced salsa (add cut up tomatoes and spices to suite your tastes)
- a thick and hearty tomato sauce (thickened with a bit of cornstarch and water, and a few chunky mushrooms and cheese)
- a delightful rose sauce (stirred into a lucious Alfredo sauce)
- a mild tomato dip (combined with a bit of cream cheese, chives and spices)
If you find a basic tomato sauce you love, the possibilities are truly endless!
How do you dress up a basic tomato sauce? What other tips and tricks can you use to stretch a bottle out? Any recipes for your own homemade tomato sauce? Share it with us!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.